The St. Johns County Center for the Arts provides artistically gifted students with a pre-professional program of study designed to develop their unique talents in the performing and visual arts. In an environment that is supportive and intellectually challenging, SJCCA prepares students to be members of an artistic society. Commitment and self-discipline are necessary in order to advance through the school’s academic and artistic studies. SJCCA has four strands: Music (band, vocal, guitar, piano), dance, drama, musical theatre and fine arts. SJCCA students must audition before being accepted in the program.–
Audition Schedule for the 2018-2019 school year:
January 29, 2018 at St. Augustine High School
(this is a teacher In-service day so students are not attending regular school on this day)
9:00am – 10:30am Visual Arts
9:00am – 10:30am Dance
10:30am – 12:00pm Drama
10:30am – 12:00pm Band
1:30pm – 3:00pm Chorus
1:30pm – 3:00pm Guitar
1:30pm – 3:00pm Piano
3:00pm – 4:00pm Musical Theatre
Prepared Etude: Click on the link below and print out the etude for your instrument. This etude is to be played in its entirety. Percussion students will be required to play both the Snare Drum and the Mallet Etudes.
Scales: Students will be asked to play their Chromatic Scale listed below in the number of octaves that will best demonstrate their range on their instrument. Students will also be asked to play 1 other Major Scale up to 3 Flats or 3 Sharps in the Key Signature. ALL Scales are to be memorized. The Major Scale is to be performed in the FBA All-State Pattern with the Arpeggio in 1 octave. Percussionists will play both the Chromatic Scale and Major Scale in 2 octaves on Xylophone.
Chromatic Scales: Flutes- C, Oboes- D, Bassoons- Bb, Clarinets/ Bass Clarinets- E, Saxophones- F, Trumpets- C, French Horns- F, Trombones/ Euphoniums/ Tubas- F, Mallets- Bb
Sight Reading: Students will be asked to sight read a short selection. Students will be given 45 seconds to study the selection and then will be asked to perform the selection in its entirety. Percussionists will sight read on Timpani.
Jazz Students: Students must be accepted as a member of the SJCCA Band Program (or other SJCCA Music Program for Rhythm Section) to be enrolled in the Jazz Ambassadors Jazz Ensemble. Jazz Students will be asked to Sight Read a short selection. Students will be given 45 seconds to study the selection and then will perform the selection indicated.
Link to the Prepared Exercises:
- Students do not need to prepare a solo to sing for the audition. Students will be asked to do several vocal exercises given to them on site. This will allow the teacher to hear vocal tone quality, vocal range and vocal technique.
- Students will be asked to sight read a short exercise to determine where the student’s ability to read music.
- If a student has a solo prepared and would like to sing it please inform the teacher when they enter the room for the audition. Keep in mind that there will not be a piano player in the room for the audition and time may not allow the solo to be performed.
- Students should arrive to the audition in appropriate dance attire. Females: Leotard, Tights (pink or flesh-colored), Ballet shoes AND Jazz shoes, Hair in a bun; Males: White T-shirt, Black shorts, Ballet shoes AND Jazz shoes;
- Students will be taken through a dance class for the audition which will include ballet (including barre work), jazz (across the floor) and a short combination which will be taught at the audition. This combination will then be performed in small groups.
- Each dancer will receive a number when they arrive at the audition to wear throughout the audition process. It is encouraged that you bring water with you to the audition.
- Students should come to the audition with 1 prepared monologue. (memorized) The teacher will workshop with you on your monologue to determine the level of acting skills that you possess.
- Students will be asked to play a 3 octave G major scale (Segovia style)
- Students will be asked to sight read a short exercise to determine music reading skills and guitar technique
- If a student has a prepared classical solo to perform for the audition, please inform the teacher when you enter the room for the audition.
Musical Theatre Auditions:
- Students should come to the auditions with a prepared vocal solo from a Broadway show. Please include appropriate blocking and characterization while performing.
- Students will be asked to learn a dance phrase as a group to perform. This will demonstrate the student’s movement ability. (This will be musical theatre style dance)
- There will be no piano accompanist at the audition so make sure you have the accompaniment track on your phone or other digital device to perform your vocal solo. You cannot perform a cappella.
- Traditional piano solo of your choosing. While you may play from memory (optional), you will need to bring the written music.
- Major Scales (C, G, D, A, E, B, and F) with proper fingerings. You will be asked for 2 scales.
- Students will be asked to sight read a short exercise to determine music reading ability.
Students should arrive to the audition with their portfolio of artwork. A portfolio consists of a binder/folder or CD/USB containing artwork the student has done over the past several years. 5-10 pieces is an acceptable number. Please make sure it is labeled with name and school. It should include, but not limited to, the discipline they are auditioning for that day. They will take home their portfolios after the audition. Instructors will take into consideration the student’s audition as well as their portfolio to place them in the correct class for the following year.
Students are able to audition for several disciplines, 2D Draw/Paint, 3D, and/or 2D Digital, one after the other.
2D Studio – Draw/Paint
- Students will be asked to do a 45 minute timed drawing of a still life while their portfolio is being evaluated, in a separate room.
- If a student wishes to audition for another discipline, they will do so after the timed drawing.
3D Studio Art
- Students will be asked to create a sculpture in a 45 minute period. Students will have access to different mediums and can choose which one to work in. (clay, wire, etc.)
- Student portfolios will be reviewed as they are working.
- Students will be asked to take a photo and upload it to the computer. They then can manipulate or change the photo as they wish. Basic editing skills are needed. They will be working with the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) on Mac computers.
- Student portfolios will be reviewed as they are working. USB is acceptable for a portfolio.
Auditions will be held on Monday, January 29, 2018. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your audition time to register in the front lobby of SAHS. Please dress appropriately for all auditions and come prepared.
Make sure that you have completed the application for SJCCA on the St. Johns County School District website.
If you have any questions about the audition process please contact Jeff Dodd at [email protected]